What’s better than acquiring a one-of-a-kind artwork? Spending only $50 and supporting a local artist while you do it…. Hence this year’s 50/50 Art Show which was sponsored by Six and held in the basement of the The Dredgers Union.
Now in it’s 7th year, the 50/50 Art Show is a single-night event where Clevelander’s young an old bid at the opportunity to acquire an artwork from one of 50 local artists…(*Click HERE to see full list of artists)
But unlike typical art auctions, the highest bidder did not necessarily take away the artwork of their choosing…
1. Most of those in attendance stopped at the beer and wine table (*donation based) in order to pickup a cocktail
2. Patrons then had the opportunity to pickup and fill out a variety of tear cards containing ones name and contact information
3. Patrons then walked around the room observing all 50 local artworks
4. Those interested in bidding on a selection slipped a tear card into a closed, covered box located next to each artwork.
5. Before the night was over, event promoters would draw a single ticket from each of the 50 boxes… those whose names were pulled would then have the opportunity to purchase an artwork for $50… no more, no less…
So though we walked away empty handed, I had the opportunity to view some interesting art while sipping on some wine, all while listening to the hip-hop/ techno DJ… Not bad for a free night on the town….
*For more info, check out the 50/50 Art Show Facebook Page